Monday, October 14, 2013

Unchicken, Kale & Butternut Squash

My workout was a test of my endurance yesterday, which meant I burned lots of calories. This meant I was extra hungry today. So I ate! When dinner rolled around, I didn't have many calories to work with (I get 1400/day), so I went with something quick, filling, and relatively low in calories. It also has crazy high vitamin values!


The unchicken is a Gardein variant we buy from Canada whenever we go there. Since Canada is really nearby (we're in metro Detroit), we go there often enough to keep a good number on hand. Any unchicken would work here. I just pan fried it (after misting the pan with olive oil), then added some Bavarian Seasoning (it's a spice blend from Penzeys - it has crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and sage), a splash of lime juice, and a few teaspoons of dilly mustard. Whole grain mustard and a pinch of dill would be equally nice. 

The kale is my new favorite preparation of kale. I got one of those big 16 oz bags and just ripped the stems out, then set the leafy bits aside. I added 2 TBS of olive oil to a big stock pot, then added 8 cloves of garlic (I love the stuff). Once the garlic browned, I added in the kale, then 1 cup of broth, a teaspoon of red wine vinegar and 2 teaspoons of dilly mustard (again, whole grain mustard would be tasty here, too). I cooked for only about 5 minutes until it was nicely softened.

The butternut squash is a zero-effort sort of thing. I like to buy it frozen for the convenience. I cook the bag (1 lb) in the pan until soft, then add 1/2 TBS of margarine to the whole thing for creaminess. It's easy. You can add cinnamon if you're into that, too. 

Nutritional information

For one unchicken, 1/6 of the greens, and 1/4 of the butternut squash:

Calories: 326
Carbs: 32 g
Protein: 28 g
Fat: 12.5 g
Fiber: 9.5 g
Sugars: 6.5 g
Vitamin A: 395%
Vitamin C: 250%
Calcium: 23%
Iron: 96%

No comments:

Post a Comment