Friday, October 18, 2013

Pumpkin Curry Soup

Many, many years ago, when I was a teenager, I went to a wedding and they were serving pumpkin curry. I thought this sounded pretty terrible, but once I tried it, I was hooked! This version is pretty close to the other, though as an adult I feel like I'd prefer it to have some texture. Still, we gave it a 4 overall because it was nice in spite of its smoothness!


Pumpkin Curry Soup

I used the recipe here, but with a few changes: http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/hotsoups/r/crmpmpknsp.htm


My version:
1 T. olive oil
1 mediucm chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium-sized leek, white parts only, chopped
1 cup peeled and chopped apple
2 T. sugar
1 TBS curry powder
¾ t. ground cinnamon
½ t. ground ginger
¼ t. ground mace
½ t. salt, plus more to taste
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup plain soy milk
Pepper, to taste
Cayenne, for garnishing

In a large pot, lightly brown the onions in the olive oil. Add the garlic, leek, and apple, plus the sugar and spices and cook until the leek is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and water and cook for 15 minutes, then transfer to the blender and puree until smooth. Add back to the pot, then add the rest of the ingredients and cook for about 5 more minutes on medium heat, until flavors have come together.

Serve with bread - I used the cornbread biscuit recipe from the Vegan Brunch cookbook (Moskowitz) because it's slightly sweet, so it went with the sweet/savory theme.

I garnished the adult bowls with cayenne (this is nice!) and the teenager's bowl with some coconut milk to make it creamier.

I decided this made 4 large servings - about 2 cups each. So, for 1/4 of the recipe, the nutritional information is:

Calories: 255
Fat: 12 g
Carbs: 37.1 g
Fiber: 11.5 g
Sugars: 23 g
Protein: 5.4 g
Vitamin A: 526% CRAZY!
Vitamin C: 15%
Calcium: 10%
Iron: 13%

No comments:

Post a Comment