Monday, September 9, 2013

Shepherd's Pie

I'll be honest - I've never actually had an actual shepherd's pie. When I was a kid, the whole combination sounded gross and weird. So, when I went to make it myself tonight, I wasn't really sure what recipe to follow. I combined elements from many and added my own special touches. I'm sure it's nothing authentic, but I liked it and Aaron thought it was pretty good and it's hard to beat when it comes to amount you can eat for the calories.

















We rated it a 4 out of 5.

Recipe:

4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 TBS margarine
1/4 cup plain soymilk
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 package Boca crumbles
1/2 TBS olive oil
1 cup carrots, julienned
1 celery rib, finely diced
1 cup chopped green beans
3/4 cup corn (I used fire roasted corn)
1.5 cups diced roasted tomatoes
1 cup unbeef broth
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp dill
1/2 tsp marjoram

Make mashed potatoes out of the russets either by boiling until they're soft or by pressure cooking on high for 5 minutes with quick release. Mash them with the margarine and soymilk and set them aside. Set the oven to 375.

Heat the olive oil and add the onion, Boca crumbles, carrots, celery, and beans. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, then add all of the other ingredients (except the potatoes). Cook until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. Put the contents of the pan in a deep pie pan, then spread the potatoes on top. Spritz the top lightly with olive oil. Cook for about 30 minutes, until the peaks on the potatoes have browned lightly.

Makes 4 servings. Yeah, a serving is 1/4 of a pie!

Nutritional Information:Calories 270
Total Fat 5.9gSodium 626mgCarbohydrates 40.2g
Fiber 9.9gSugars 8.0gProtein 22.7g
Vitamin A 121%
Vitamin C 39%
Calcium 21
Iron 25%

2 comments:

  1. This looks like the bomb digitty!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ilo! I know you said the Boca stuff scares you, but I must assure you that it's one of the substitutes non-veg people like best. The texture is good, the flavor is good, and it's so easy to work with. :)

    ReplyDelete