Friday, July 4, 2014

Lemon Pepper Garlic Scape Pasta

The first time I encountered garlic scapes was in a produce box from the CSA I belonged to at the time. The winding tendrils and subtle garlic fragrance enchanted me and I was eager to use them in everything. I rarely see scapes, but when I do, I always have to buy some. I wanted to make a quick dinner before going out to watch fireworks, and pasta is always good for that.




Ingredients
3 servings of pasta, cooked and set aside
2 TBS margarine (olive oil would work, too, but you'll want to add a little salt)
1 bunch garlic scapes, flower and soft tendril part diced - about 1/2 cup (there's a stiffer part like on asparagus and you just need to snap it off. It's good for use in vegetable broth making, so set it aside for later if you make broths). 
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 cup peas
1/3 cup white wine
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Parisien Bonnes Herbes
1/2 tsp cracked pepper (or more to taste)
1 TBS nutritional yeast

Heat the margarine or olive oil in a large pan over medium heat, then add the garlic scapes and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, then add the peas, wine, lemon juice, and herbs to the pan. Cook until the peas are done, then add the noodles to the pan, stirring to ensure each noodle is coated. Add in the pepper and nutritional yeast and coat the noodles once more, making sure everything is heated through. Serve! Garnish with a large scape segment and more pepper, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment